Friday, May 15, 2015

Do you really know anything at all?

“My” Problem: Dark skinned and Indian.

“The” Solution: You will have to prove your worth.

 

Scenario

Don’t spend too much time in the sun.

Use Fair and Lovely, it will help your skin glow.

Try this lipstick, this powder: you will look pretty.

 

Your hair is oily. Do all Indians have oily hair?

You smell Indian, you know like curry. Do you also worship a cow? 

Say something in Indian. Were you born here?

 

You must be good in math. 

You are going to a science college.

You will be pre-med. 

 

Your parents must be super strict.

You [Indians] guys study a lot.

I know about that, I watch Bollywood movies.

 

“People’s” Solution: Mold me into the assumptions you have.

My answer: I’m not clay that can be molded to your wishes.

 

I’m an unfinished piece of artwork that’s not limited to the boundaries you put on me. The worlds my canvas, not your tunneled vision of a brief glimpse of me.

-N.


She is what I love about writers, artist. She has something to say and she says it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment